 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4910
Re: "Core" layout features for rtlTrainN
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:39:11 GMT

Jeff Elliott wrote:

(A) An "inside" centre space.

_Description_: The modules, in at least one place, form a ring and the
engineers can stand inside.
_Pros_: You can keep the speed regulators inside and out of harm's way
_Cons_: Tends to make the layout "thinner" - it's usually only 1 module
thick at any point, which limits the size of building you can place in a
town.

I don't think this is a requirement, but it is nice to have.  Doesn't
have to be very large.  I think everything on the layout should be
reachable within the width of one module.  For example a 3x3 square with
a module in the middle would be bad because its to hard to reach
anything in that center module.

(B) A high-low crossover

_Description_: A point where two tracks cross one another at heights
differing by enough to pass a train on the lower route. (usu ~16+ bricks
delta) eg: my tunnel/siding mountain module.
_Pros_: Very cool-looking when done right.  Very fun to build
_Cons_: If you want all the track to be continuous and linked, this
involves a 30+ track sloped run-in.  See also: Mountain

I would love to have one of these.  :-)

(C) Mountain
_Description_: A big hill of Lego bricks, possibly supporting track.
_Pros_: Looks very cool if done well
_Cons_: Really needs to be at the centre of the layout, or else it
blocks the sight to the lower parts of the layout.  Gobbles up vast
tracts of land and thousands of bricks.  I've also noticed that if you
place a loop of track at height, many many modules have to participate
in supporting high track, which means everyone has to be into building
hills.

Sounds good to me.

(D) Tunnel
_Description_: A hole into which trains go, and come out again
_Pros_: *Everyone* wants tunnels in their layout.  High neatness
quotient.  Also makes dealing with mountains easier, and ALLOWS MORE
TRACK PER SQUARE INCH (CM) OF LAYOUT.
_Cons_: Kind of implies a mountain, unless we cheat and raise the
baseplates up 16 bricks high.  Which is certainly possible...

Silly to have mountain without a tunnel.

(E) A level crossover
_Description_: One of those $9 level X pieces.
_Pros_: Can simplify layouts, adds potential for collisions
_Cons_: Hard to do in corners (across curved track), adds potential for
collisions.

Hi/Lo is better then level.  I'm not a big fan of collisions.  But they
will let us get different shapes where we aren't always turning left or
always turning right.  I'm building a tilting high speed train.  It
would be nice to see it tilt both ways as it goes around the layout.

(F) Multiple independent loops
_Description_: A layout topology which allows two independent trains on
separate regulators, should we choose.
_Pros_: Doubles number of engineer-hours. :)  Elegant.
_Cons_: Wow, this eats a lot of space

I think more then one loop is a necessity.  Its the only way everyone
will get a good chance to run their trains.  Unless we can find a place
to setup that doesn't require us to be out by 5.

(G) "Square" track
_Description_: A layout where the track is more-or-less on-stud when
straight.  This implies 90-degree (that's 32.2 C, Iain) bends and using
switches to side-step track.  Sidings and yards can still do whatever
they please.
_Pros_: Track snaps to studs most places, which *hugely* decreases the
incidence of track segments pulling apart badly enough to break
connection or derail a train.
_Cons_: Dramatically limits the layouts you can build.

I don't think this is a serious problem.  You can always tie the tracks
together with plates if they can't be tied to the base plates.

Derek