 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4745
Re: Changing the subject... :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:11:24 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

That's just wild... that will mean that KBF will have two cable launched
coasters, but of course the other one is a lot more standard/off the shelf
at this point.

Well, to a point! There are only (to the best of my knowledge) 3
flywheel-launched Schwarzkopf shuttle loop coasters left in the world - the
rest are weight-drop driven.

(Montezooma's Revenge - KBF, Greezed Lightnin' - SFAw, Turbine - Walibi
Wavre... there may be a few in Japan, but I'm not sure if they're
weight-drop or flywheel)

In that system (I had a chance to ride one, Greezed Lightnin' at SixFlags
Astroworld in Houston last summer), a 6-ton flywheel rotates at nearly 1k
r/min, and engages a slipping clutch between that and the cable drive drum.
The skate pushes on a flip-up plate at the back of the train.

Montezooma's Revenge is also a flywheel-launched Schwarzkopf shuttle.

The weight-driven ones do not have as nice an acceleration. The acceleration
is more constant - the nature of the slipping clutch in the flyhweel driven
onces gives an EXCELLENT startup kick that really drives the train out fast.

    Iain