 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4729
Re: Changing the subject... :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 01:46:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

GhostRider rocks. Once you go over the first drop it just DOES NOT LET UP.

Never slows down.

You're always in a corner getting thrown to the side or getting massive
airtime. I thought I was going to come out of my seat. I got 3 rides in • and
if there's a next time for me at KBF I'm just gonna skip all the other
coasters and ride that one over and over. ALL the seats I tried were good,
although the very front is the mostest intensest.

Ghostrider has a *really* good reputation. Suposedly "The Drop" off the
blockbrake in the back seat is to die for!

Well I am not sure if the blockbrake in this context is the lift hill drop
or the mid track brake location but I had the front seat in the back car
(they're 2 seat cars) on my middle ride, which was as close to the very back
as my time budget would allow (my last ride, I was the second to last rider
let on to the ride, seriously!... and if I'd waited for the very back on the
previous ride I wouldn't have gotten a third ride, it would have been
closed, if you see what I'm saying) and I can say that both of those track
locations really kicked if you were a back seat rider. Off the lift hill you
feel like you're getting whipped because the train is accelerating at a good
rate while you're still going up hill so you get airtime at the very crest
before you drop. VERY intense.

The mid course braking flat area you rocket through (I suspect if they block
braked there, the second half of the ride wouldn't nearly be as good) so
you're going at a good clip into the restart drop. It's not as intense as
the top of the lifthill though.

I'm one who usually likes the front seat because most coasters have better
front seat rides than anywhere else, as well as liking the sensation of no
one in front of you... but Ghostrider just doesn't HAVE any bad seats based
on my sample (very front, close to back and middle) and the back may
actually *be* better. Need more data. :-)

What did Xcelerator look like up close?

Swoopy. I knew what to expect from the pictures at THAT site, and elsewhere,
but up close it's just huge. That box section track is going to take some
getting used to (being used to Arrow tubular as I am) but looks really
really smooth. And big. Did I say big yet? The mags seem to stretch on
forever out of the station before you get to the curveup, and the first
inversion is just intensely high up there.

There aren't actually very many track elements (the first inversion and two
back and forths and then back into the station, I think, but could be wrong)
because the whole ride is writ large. Very swoopy curves both horizontally
and vertically

Did you get to see it testing?

They were testing while I was trying to figure out where to park, silly me I
went all the way around the park twice before I found the parking lot entrance.

But by the time I got to that part of the park (I only had 4.5 hours and was
being methodical about doing as many things as possible in as efficient a
path as possible, I *did* manage to ride every coaster they have, every last
one) they weren't testing any more, there was a guy adjusting the wheel
spacing on the top and bottom track wheels on the cars. He had the biggest
spanner I've ever seen. He let me hold it! Must have weighed 15 pounds.
Those wheels are very large. It's going to be a very smooth ride I think.

The cars look like the cars of Rock'n'Roll Coaster (Disney MGM) cars, that
coaster is also a linear accelerator, but these care are a lot bigger. At
least they seem bigger anyway.

I was ALSO jazzed because I rode on their in park steam train which is
authentic RGS and DRGW 3 foot gauge (from Colorado) rolling stock.
Supposedly they have a Galloping Goose, there are pictures of it in their
station ...

real thing:
http://www.gallopinggoose.org/

as done by fellow Bricksmith(tm) Steve Chuck:
http://legovilllivesteamclub.homestead.com/Kits~ns4.html#anchor_13151 (you
may need to click down the page to find it but it's in there)

But I didn't see it. :-( I was told it was in the shed undergoing
renovation... They don't run it in the summer, it has radiator issues. (kind
of like my old E-type I imagine)

I got a cab tour of one of their 2-8-0s though. Originally RGS. Cool. No
ride, they have liability issues that most steam operators don't. Shouldn't
have even got the tour but if you ask enough questions to show you know a
bit about the engine, sometimes you get lucky.

Good clean fun.