 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4723
Re: interesting experience from Lego Consumer Affairs...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:40:09 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
"Benjamin Medinets" <bmedinets@excite.com> wrote in message

so with mixed feelings, I post this message as a possible warning to
avoid the 10001 Metroliner if you can due to incorrect or missing
pieces.

I can't believe you're recomending people avoid buying the set because you
had a few missing plates and bodgy windows.

Grr.

   Iain

That's really not a nice take from what I said.  Take this approach...the
average Joe Consumer who "discovers" Lego Direct/Shop@home (my guess he
re-discovers his joy of Lego)...decides to buy the train set from his
childhood, Legend 10001 Metroliner.

He opens it up and finds incorrect pieces.  He may or may not know about
the mistakes in the packing of the set...so he chews the customer service
rep's ear off.  There should be little room for mistakes like that...even if
it is a benchmark line in a fledgling division.  Anyways, what's a world
class manufacturer sending out incorrect pieces and generally give their
buyers the run around.

If given the choice between the 4558 and the 10001.  Go with the
original...if you can get it. (through E-bay....there's loads
of them available from Germany...hint...hint!!)  Maybe that's just my
biased opinion....actually thanks to 10001, the price of the original
has dropped significantly.

The other irksome characteristic is having the train motor loose in the box
the way it is.  The Lego boxes of today are no where near the quality of
yesteryear.  My box on my last order was ripped open because of the low
quality that was shipped in.  Fortunately, none of the items I had ordered
were missing. (sigh)

These are the negative attributes.  The positive aspects are that it was one
of the real train classics.  Plus, the sticker page is real nice.  Lastly,
the build factor.  I seriously doubt you'll be able to get a MISB 4558 for
anywhere close to $150 US.  Building the 10001 mint out of the box was fun,
despite the incorrect and missing pieces.

So in short...yes I am warning people not to buy 10001 if they can help it.
Its better to stick with the original in this case...even in the age of the
market buying Lego for as low as they can get it.

Ben