 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4656
Re: A major concern: Where to find basic bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:25:30 GMT

You know really I should unload some of mine on them.  I've got way more
of those large axle blocks and wheels then I'll ever use.

This is also one of those cases where they gave the kid System lego
before he was really ready for it.  It became quite clear to me how
important it is not to rush kids out of Duplo.  A lot of times he really
struggled to get just basic bricks to lock together properly.  The
problem is once you introduce system lego kids refuse to go back because
they think Duplo is baby lego and they aren't babies any more.  So he's
not having fun with the System Lego because its too difficult for him to
work with, and he refuses to play with Duplo because he thinks it
beneath him.  So he ends up not playing with Lego at all.

This really isn't the fault of Lego, the age ranges they put on the box
are a very good guide.  And I think lego understands this problem.  Look
at Jake's answer to question 17 on BimP in reference to Jack Stone sets.

http://www.graphics-plus.com/BimP/articles/20_questions_mckee.html

I buy Jack Stone sets all the time for young kids.  They are great.
They are easy to put together, they are something exciting to play
with, and they are not Duplo.  Granted they don't have the construction
flexibility I'd like to see, but the trade off is young kids can
actually build them.

I don't like Jack Stone because I can't see any use for it in my
collection.  I do like Jack Stone because they're a great intermediate
step between Duplo and System for my friends kids.

I do wish there were more basic bricks in system sets, so when the kid
is ready for more complex construction he'll have something to do it
with.  Unfortunately all he has is a pile of convoluted shapes that I
can't even make anything of.

Derek

Calum Tsang wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:

I have three Yodas. :-)

I had the same thought about the Yoda.  I was eyeing the box like a stranded
rugby team staring at each other after crashing on the side of a mountain.
Jedi Master = Foundation For New Train Station.

But then we have lots of bricks already, what also consens me is the
inability of kids just getting into Lego to get basic bricks.  When in
Vancouver I stayed with friends of mine, and they have a young son who
is trying to get into lego.  I played around with him for a while, but
in this huge pile of lego there weren't even enough basic bricks to
build a simple wall, let alone a small house or something.  I watched
him struggle trying to come up with something he could build.  I
struggled just to come up with a simple car.  Specialized parts are
nice, but it really sucks when that's all you have.

I agree.  The multitude of Bionicle "creations", if you can call them that,
really scares me--there's only so many "configurations" of claws, heads, and
masks :)  I wish they had basic bricks for kids too.

Mario could probably chime in here, but his kids seem to like this Creator
tub he got at Costco.  It looked like there was an acceptable set of pieces,
perhaps not for our purposes, but seemed okay for houses and cars.  I think
it was set 4810.

BTW, if your friends would like some car chassis and wheels from Creator,
let me know, I've got like four or five of them sitting around.

Calum