 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4639
A major concern: Where to find basic bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 04:11:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Something struck me as a big problem with Lego lately while building part of
my train station today-we don't have a good source of basic 1x and 2x bricks
anymore.  I've got like six unopened 3033's left, but after that...does this
concern anyone else?

I used to worry about not having enough of bricks or windows.  Then we found
cheap bricks.  And LD started offering windows, and while moderately
expensive to get in Canada due to import/exchange/shipping, it wasn't so bad
at all.

I've heard the comment 3033's were used as loss leaders or for product line
entry positioning and Lego won't be putting any more of types of set out.
This is unusual, because even before the 3033, I always remember some sort
of XL bucket (450, 950, 1000, 1200) or box of basic bricks was available the
last five or ten years.  Now, I can't even find Freestyle/part buckets like
4267 (long gone, sigh, 4x Town windows in each bucket!) or 4285 anymore.
What the heck is going on?

Buying pieces off BrickLink or S@H is thoroughly unacceptable.  The prices
charged are nothing short of ridiculous-and it's not really Lego Direct's
fault-this is the pets.com equivalent of shipping kitty litter across the
country-it's expensive and probably not their market segment.  I want some
3033 like, bulk tubs, which I can drop by to my Zellers locally and buy at
retail with their ridiculous discount sales.  I'm not even asking for
something the size and price of 3033, just something somewhat reasonable.
I'd pay $30 for a 3033 sized tub.

Is this the end of the basic brick?  Am I going to have to build mosaics out
of RCXes? :)  Someone please tell me they have some good news about this.
Heaven forbid this become like buying LGB or Marklin accessories, or worse,
I'm gonna start buying MegaBlocks.

Calum