 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4640
Re: Thinking about train stations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 04:28:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
Cool, I like your preliminary design ideas.

If you're going to go ahead with a train station, then I'm going to
dismantle mine.  I don't really like it in its current state, I never
got to add any detail to it, and it's just taking up to much space in my
apartment.  Grand idea, not enough time, must plan better.  Besides, one
layout shouldn't be all train stations. :-)

You should keep going with it, don't break it down--It really rocks!  The
scope of yours thoroughly dwarfs what I'm planning.  I'm only building a
96x64 dot building.  That's the shed over three tracks and a three segment
facade which contains the waiting areas, ticket booths etc.

I also tallied the cost of doing the rest of the station.  It stands at
about $137 CAD.  Cripes.  That's 3x packs of 2x2x1 Classic windows, 3x packs
of 4x3x1 Town windows, and 3x boxes of 4515 Straight Track.  As a result, I
might put off this station for a while, or just go and buy the three 48x48
plates I need.  I'm also going to start cutting baseplates for this project.

I worked a little bit more on the train station today:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/lego-station-leftfacade.jpg

This is the front of the station, left wing.  It would be mirrored on the
other side with a similar wing.  In the center would be three large compound
windows, with the main doors underneath.  I built this section to figure out
some of the detail techniques for the facade of the station.   What I
learned was that it's easy to throw crap up on the side of a building to
make it look old or ornate, it's hard to make it look good. :)  I don't
think I've become very good at it.  Back to looking at those Brickshelf
photos...

I'm thinking I'll trying a sunken module with a train bridge and a car
bridge.  If others are interested in having a monorail run through their
modules I'd add a monorail bridge as well.  Note this is my monorail,
not Lego's.

I think it'd be very interesting to see a sunken module.  The major problem,
which can be solved via Yodas, is covering the sides of the valley.  This
would be on the same scope as JeffE's mountain.

About that monorail-is there a technical reason why the monorail is so tall?
is it due to the drive mechanism?

Calum