 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4469
Re: Winners Finds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 02:15:41 GMT

One of the few things I know about the Big Smoke is Yonge Street.  I was

Is "Big Smoke" a nickname for Toronto? If so, where did it come from?

    Iain

Iain,

(1) From what I can remember, this term  dates back to 1936.  In 1936 a
HUGE fire broke out in a waterfront pulp and paper warehouse.  Three
people lost there lives.  Reports in the local paper at the time (the
Torontonian) say that the "...smoke was so think.... as to be seen
across the lake in Buffalo, New York."

Interestingly enuff, prior to the Big Smoke, Toronto was often referred
to as  "That place just south of Hogs Hallow"  (don't get me started on
where the name Hog's Hallow came from)

Post '36 a city By-Law was passed that banned all fire near pulp and
paper storage locations.

Hope this helps

;)

(1) what follows is a complete work of fiction.(2)  All events are a
figment of my imagination. All persons real or implied are fictitious.
IF you read this post without a cover, you should know that neither the
author nor publisher received money for this "stripped" post.

(2) i am very bored today and would rather make up posts about a
alternate past then finish the laundry.

Chris
Pretend this says something funny