 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4416
Re: rtl11 Decision
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 17:02:18 GMT

I agree that the three table, single flag game would be cool. Hopefully
there will always be a clear winner rather than a bunch of ties. I can see
dumb robots randomly searching and not finding, or robots getting stuck on
eachother in the middle table.

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, John Guerquin writes:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that the ONLY goal of the game is to
build a robot to get the flag, and EVERYTHING else is steps along the way.
If that is the case, why have gaps between the tables at all?  Just have 2
robots on 1 table, looking for the flag.  I think the bridge idea adds
another challenge, and its successful completion should be rewarded.

Absolutely. Building a bridge and getting the robot over the bridge is
defenitely a challenge. It should be rewarded. In my mind a robot that
successfully crosses over to the middle island is far superior to a robot
that makes a pathetic attempt and falls off the edge.

If I recall from the original post-rtl10 dinner, we talked about building a
bridge-laying robot, and then decided that there should be more to the
competition (I think I was at Chris' table, so maybe he can back me up).
So we came up with crossing a gap, and then looking for a flag.  I see the
bridge-laying aspect of it as the "mechanical" challenge, and the
find-the-flag aspect of it as the "programming" challenge.  Thus giving a
nice mixture of both.

This sounds good. The competition should be a mixture of mechanical and
software challenges.

Anyways, my scoring suggestion is:
1 point awarded per robot for successfully deploying and crossing the bridge
2 points awarded to the robot that is first to capture the (only) flag
1 point awarded per robot in case of a tie (both robots getting to the flag
at the same time)

I would even reward a successfully deployed bridge whether or not the robot
crosses it. But I'm sure thats way too warm and fuzzy for Calum. I think we
are making too many asumptions that this game is easy. Both building the
bridge and finding the flag are going to be very challenging, and should
factor into the scoring. My bridge is mostly built, and I can say there is a
lot involved in designing a good bridge. Especially one that is self
deploying with no motors :)

Rob