 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4280
Re: Help me! My Performa is sad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 05:32:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Dave Johann writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:

Right. Um... okay. So I copy that onto a PC formatted disc, because the
Performa can read PC formatted discs. I take it over. the file has a PC icon
on it. The Performa doesn't want to touch it with a 7 metre pole.

ARGH!!

How the heck do I get MacNQC on my Mac, via my PC!? I don't have Stuffit
Expander on my Performa, because I can't get it on it. Does anyone have a
Mac in the Toronto Area, who could unstuff MacNQC (off the aformentioned
URL) and burn it on a CD or copy it onto a Macintosh formatted disc? I'll
obviously trade you or pay you for the disc...

::sigh::

   Iain

Hmmm...sounds to me like you need a self-extracting version of Stuffit Expander.
If you can't locate one via their website, contact me and I'll see what I can
do. Keep in mind that this is MUCH easier if you have the Performa hooked up to
the internet. :) Let's see what we can do to fix your problem, shall we?

Also, MacOS always puts a generic PC floppy icon on floppy disks coming from
DOS/WIN. Did you actually open the volume after it mounted to see if your
file was there? It's likely just fine. (Unless the situation is as below...)

(There's a lot of stuff we could go in to about how MacOS alters the volume
with it's own resource forks and such...it doesn't hurt the disk, and is
usually invisible in MacOS...just put that floppy back into a Windows
machine to see the leftovers made visible).

Further, Macs HATE Mac files expanded on Windows machines, but does just
fine if you move the compressed file(s) from Win to Mac THEN unstuff. Follow
Dave's advice and get a copy of StuffIt onto the Performa, then move the
compressed file over to unstuff. It should work like a dream. Plus you'll be
set up for future files. (Did you get the original Performa CDs with the
machine? StuffIt will be on the original software or software restore discs.)

HTH,

Matt