 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4288
Re: Help me! My Performa is sad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:04:24 GMT

Hi,

Turns out I used one of these machines for several months in 1995.

Here is a page at Low End Mac, a support group for discontinued mac models:
http://www.lowendmac.com/500/lc580.shtml

As a last resort if you can't work out anything locally, I would be happy to
send you some CDs. Contact me by email.

Could you tell us some other details? Open the "About this Mac" in the Apple
menu and note how much RAM and what version of system software (System 7.1
shipped on this one originally but it can benefit from MacOS 8.1.)

This machine has two RAM slots - see Low End Mac for what chips it needs,
they are give-aways these days if you can find them.  (52 megs ram is the
maximum possible.)

It also has the LC PDS expansion slot. I put an Ethernet card in my slot.
Could you check if there is an Ethernet adapter socket in the back? (It's
like a phone plug but wider with 8 pins.) You can still buy this useful card
but at $45 (macwarehouse.com) its kind of silly (check ebay though.)

-Erik