 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3796
3795  |  3797
Subject:
R11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:38:28 GMT

OK, i have 2 ideas stuck in my head for r11.

One is a WAY COOL idea but would require more organization and
participation from people long before the event.

the second idea, is ok, a nice simple event to reset our brains, it
would be easy to do, and require nothing except what the library already
has.

Idea 1.  (cool, but not do-able)

3d inside pipe maze solver.

Create a robot that will fit and operate inside a 4" clear (ABS or PVC)
pipe.  clear pipe will be arranged in a 3D maze.  About 4' cubed.  the
robot would have to navigate inside the pipe maze to either come out the
other end or find the "clog"

the reason this is not practical is because i would have to custom order
clear 4" PVC from Fabco and all the related T's elbows and Y's.  then i
would need to distribute a section of said pipe to all would be entries
long before the game.  SURE you could use black ABS from home depot, BUT
I'd bet a dollar that the first time your robot made a "left" inside you
would NOT know what it was doing or how to debug it.  this is the same
reason the PVC would have to be clear for the game.  how much fun would
it be to watch a robot enter a black pipe, and..... that's it.

SO, unless some one in your extended family works at Fabco and can get
me A LOT of clear PVC in 4"   this game will not happen while i still
have to work for a living.

sorry.

-----------------tent     -    the real game --------------------

and now for something anti climatic.

It was almost agreed upon that the next game could be "capture the flag"
with a twist.

this is just a first pass info sheet, so don't go and pick apart the
game like a lawyer all over a murder trial.

get 2 of the grey tables and separate them by about 8".  on each table
place a "flag" (to be determined)

build a robot that crosses from one table to the other, then finds the
flag and picks it up.  first robot to pick up the flag wins.

this is the BASIC idea. we knocked around a lot of what ifs so don't
start up on me for a day or two.  okay?

:)

so, can you get me clear PVC??

Chris