 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3785
Re: The least you could do!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:03:26 GMT

> Come on guys! Those of us who lurk at your news group are dying to know
who
> won this battle of the bots. Was it Rob again? Another battery box
wonder?

Well, it certainly had a number of battery boxes, as a matter of fact Rob
had as many battery boxes as Chris RCXs :))

Ivan perfected a "magazine" gripper that would store internally the  bad
blocks and place were needed.

I beleive this is what Chris intended to say: Ivan "perfected" a magazine
gripper - considering I finished my xBot 5 minutes (literraly) before the
competition.
I'm really surprised that no one else tried to implement something similar.
Except maybe for Bruce - appearently his bot could lift up two blocks.

Rob, (the Winner) had a string drive X/Y and a pneumatic gripper.  it
was very light and VERY fast.  IIRC with new batteries he had 15s for
the anti-x. it used 2 RCXen

If I remember correctly Rob used only one RCX for the entire bot. 2 outputs
for the x and y axis and the 3rd for that super cool 2 pneumatic valve
switch.

And in case someone is interested, here are the final scores:
1. Rob        645pts
2. Chris        565pts
3. Phil        545pts
4. Ka-On    510pts
5. Dave    500pts
6. Mario/Calum    460pts
7. John    380pts
8. Trevyn    280pts
9. Ivan    270pts
10. Derek    140pts
11. Matthias 80pts
12. Tony/Jennifer 20pts

Even though I expected a bit higher scoring I'm still very happy that my bot
worked at all, since it is my most difficult project yet. I just wish I had
more time for tweaking and debugging, as my biggest problem certainly was
unreliability due to lack of play-testing (mainly the software that I wrote
some time between Friday evening and Saturday morning) . Must say I greatly
underestimated the complexity of the task, so let us learn on out mistakes
:))

Awesome event guys! Kudos!

Ivan