 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3786
Re: The least you could do!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:50:39 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ivan Louch writes:
Come on guys! Those of us who lurk at your news group are dying to know • who
won this battle of the bots. Was it Rob again? Another battery box
wonder?

Well, it certainly had a number of battery boxes, as a matter of fact Rob
had as many battery boxes as Chris RCXs :))

Ivan perfected a "magazine" gripper that would store internally the  bad
blocks and place were needed.

I beleive this is what Chris intended to say: Ivan "perfected" a magazine
gripper - considering I finished my xBot 5 minutes (literraly) before the
competition.
I'm really surprised that no one else tried to implement something similar.
Except maybe for Bruce - appearently his bot could lift up two blocks.

Rob, (the Winner) had a string drive X/Y and a pneumatic gripper.  it
was very light and VERY fast.  IIRC with new batteries he had 15s for
the anti-x. it used 2 RCXen

If I remember correctly Rob used only one RCX for the entire bot. 2 outputs
for the x and y axis and the 3rd for that super cool 2 pneumatic valve
switch.

And in case someone is interested, here are the final scores:
1. Rob        645pts
2. Chris        565pts
3. Phil        545pts
4. Ka-On    510pts
5. Dave    500pts
6. Mario/Calum    460pts
7. John    380pts
8. Trevyn    280pts
9. Ivan    270pts
10. Derek    140pts
11. Matthias 80pts
12. Tony/Jennifer 20pts

Even though I expected a bit higher scoring I'm still very happy that my bot
worked at all, since it is my most difficult project yet. I just wish I had
more time for tweaking and debugging, as my biggest problem certainly was
unreliability due to lack of play-testing (mainly the software that I wrote
some time between Friday evening and Saturday morning) . Must say I greatly
underestimated the complexity of the task, so let us learn on out mistakes
:))

Awesome event guys! Kudos!

Ivan

Thanks Ivan for a more "indepth" results of the competition.
What about Bruce.....
I must agree with (and congradulate) Chris that he definitely has "smacking"
rights.

I am sorry I couldn't come to the event, but it was very nice down there
in Virginia. (temperature reached 65 on Friday but was considerably cooler
on Saturday and today (Sunday).   Shooting Automatic Weapons (with live
ammo) off is a blast. :)  (Even if it is with the "evil army")

Who took home the "free" lego shirt at the competition??

Just some random thoughts and queries....

Ben