 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3774
Re: The least you could do!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:17:52 GMT

Come on guys! Those of us who lurk at your news group are dying to know who
won this battle of the bots. Was it Rob again? Another battery box wonder?
Please share!

OK OK OK.  since you asked so nicely.

;)

Lets see if i can remember the entire day.

First we had an amazing turnout.  we had about 12 working robots that
entered.  I think we had about 4 or so others that with a bit more
software, or one more tweek, would have been contenders.

ALL of the 12 robots were x/y gantry.  they 2 style differences were
direct drive via motor, and string drive.

The interesting thing about these robots was the gripper and/or Z
axis.   we had almost a different one for every robot.

some ideas that I saw were:

Ivan perfected a "magazine" gripper that would store internally the  bad
blocks and place were needed.

Matthias had 2 cool ideas,  one robot used 2 old technic gears that....
well, its hard for me to explain,   I'll let him tell it.   the cool
part was that it was lift/grip in one motor.
His second idea was a board shaker bot that roughly placed the blocks,
then shake the board and seat the not perfect blocks.  A VERY neat idea.

Calum and Mario, had a nice gripper, the special thing was that on the
plunge release,  the gripper "vibrated" and the result was that a non
perfect block seated just nice. VERY fun to watch.

Dave (S)  had a scissors gripper that was passive.  as the tool, went
down, it would ??spring?? clip on to the brick, and a cam on a motor,
would release.

Jeff W had..... umm, well, for the life of me I just cant do it.  I'll
also leave that to him,

Rob, (the Winner) had a string drive X/Y and a pneumatic gripper.  it
was very light and VERY fast.  IIRC with new batteries he had 15s for
the anti-x. it used 2 RCXen

Which beat out my robot. (Second)   I had a 12 motor beast.  it was the
complete opposite of the mechanically neat robot that Rob showed up
with.  my best time was about 20s anti X.  I had a very simple worm to
24t gripper.  my secret was that for every motor on the EOAT i added a
motor to the Y, and for every motor on the Y i added one to the X
drive.  the second secret was a separate second  y axis, that had its
own RCX, and 3 cybermaster touch sensors, (plus 1 regular) the purpose
of this was to build a "stomper" that would prescan the board 1 row at a
time.  in about 2 seconds (ish) I could scan the entire board and send
that info off to the second RCX which housed the logic to solve.  the
3rd RCX was to run the pick/place tool.  one last "innovation" I used a
direct wire connection between motor out of one brick to sensor in of a
second brick, I then pulsed the output from float to off, and the
receiving brick would count the pulses.  this was Iains idea and it
worked very well. not as fast as IR but with so much ir in the room, i
choose to go this route.

Iain, had a really nice delta robot, without a gripper.  it was on
display, and the "arm" was in a demo mode, that could be seen jumping
from block to block.

Phil, came in Third, and this is important because of the "incident."
At a very low point in the day, Phil's robot crashed to the floor, and
..... well, you can guess.   The amazing part was that he managed to
rebuild it and still place.

Derek had the second string robot, and it too was fast.  unfortunately
it refused to obey his wishes on site and to quote derek started to
"...finger paint."

:(

I am forgetting to mention other robots,   Dave K, Ka-On, John, and
others all had robots that worked and I wish i did not have to run out
of the house......

i really hope the people who brought robots will add to this.  I was
just one, and I am sad to say that I don't get a good chance to really
sit and study all the robots.

we had  many cameras, and I'm know Calum, will soon have the photos on
line.  I think the reason for all the silence (for me at least) is the
feeling of being "drained"  unlike any other event we have had in the
past,  this was very difficult mentally.  A lot of people put in a lot
of man hours.  I am just tired.

To all of you I want to say thank you for such a wonderful event.

We have worked out ideas for the next event.  I'll tell you about it
later.

Chris