 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3466
Re: Does this offend anyone's sense of lego purity?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 02:04:30 GMT

"Trevyn Watson" <4tee2@rogers.com> wrote in message

And for Iain, that's a 7809 Positive 9 Volt Voltage Regulator. It looks
like most other voltage regulators (except the really low power ones)
and also like most power transistors. A common component in power
supplies.

Oh cool! Okay, I remember I bought one of those for a project once, but
never used it. It's siting in my electronics bin downstairs, I just couldn't
remember what it was for.

So does it regulate the voltage so it never goes above 9V, or does it step
it down or something?

I think you should be allowed to screw your robot to the base. I'm going
to steal that idea if we have to move our bots around much.

It works really, really well to use the plates to screw down things into
wood bases. When I used to build coasters out of 4.5V track and Monorail
supports, I'd put a 2x4 plate with holes, with a 2x1 plate at one end, and
put a screw through the middle, and have the non-2x1 end holding down the
bottom of the Monorail supports. I'd screw them into the base I have in my
room for building on. I'd like to do the same thing for my current robot.

    Iain