 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3180
3179  |  3181
Subject:
ProjectX thoughts and beyond
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:00:09 GMT

Hi everyone...
Long time no post! Anyway, Over the Christmas holidays, I spent almost all
of my time working on my ProjectX robot. I am quite happy with the results,
but it surprised me how long it took to build. I now have a love/hate
relationship with pneumatics:) I gave up on rotation sensors, and opted to
use all of my 6 touch sensors:) Some lucky individuals have seen pics of my
robot, but its not out for public viewing just yet...
Anyway, I have another thought about this competition. What if everyone paid
a small entrance fee, which went towards a small prize? The prize would be a
Lego set of course (3800?). So, what does everyone think about this? I just
keep getting the feeling that there should be some recognition of the
winners. I remember when Iain won the DDK at rtl7. This was so cool, and he
totally deserved it. I guess we can't expect people to mysteriously bring
prizes to every competition though:)
Oh yeah, about rtl11... Why not do Xrobots again? We did marbles and
blockstacking twice... I think there will be lots of room for improvement
and further development in these robots. Otherwise, maybe we could do
something that requires teamwork... I really liked the idea behind Chris and
Steves ants and factory. Could this type of robot cooperation be worked into
a game? And, if we ditch the Xrobots, could we get back on wheels? After
rtl9 and 10 being completely wheel free, I kind of miss driving around on
wheels:) Or, maybe we could introduce a secondary game in addition to the
main event (Dragracers!). As has been said before, this would have to be run
by someone other than Calum and Chris.
Rob