 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3188
Re: ProjectX thoughts and beyond
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 03:45:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
What if everyone paid
a small entrance fee, which went towards a small prize? The prize would be a
Lego set of course (3800?). So, what does everyone think about this?

WELL, I'd go in. sure, I'd toss in 5 ot 10 bucks.   What ever we do, it
should be a  low key kind of event.   once you introduce prizes then the
rule of engagement become a LOT more important.  and you would need
official impartial Judges.  AND if I enter a bot then i cant be a judge.

I think the idea of an entrance fee prevents (well discourages) the "lurkers"
from participating.  And it certainly discourages the less established
robotic builders from entering also.

But, on the other hand, I can see Rob's view....
spending all that time on a rock solid design, and not getting anything in
return.... :(

I know some of you won't be satisfied winning a Lego Shirt, but I'll bring
it anyway.... at least its something.  I didn't expect to get another one,
since I already had 2.... :-/ (it says Lego World, and I gave one to my
sister for part of her Christmas present, along with the Scala set)

I don't know if I could afford anything else for prizes.... :(

Ben

I just
keep getting the feeling that there should be some recognition of the
winners. I remember when Iain won the DDK at rtl7. This was so cool, and he
totally deserved it. I guess we can't expect people to mysteriously bring
prizes to every competition though:)

I agree, it was WAY cool to be able to hand out a lego prize.   what I
would be afraid of is if it ever got "big" then we would have to really
become more official.  (e.g.. if someone wanted to "sponsor" a prize
then they would have every right to have clearly defined rules so as to
show what was fair for all)

As it stands right now, for my robot, the gripper is "off board" but
other parts of the but  almost hover over the first row of blocks.  this
is sad BUT i just cant make my rails any longer...... I CANT!!!

so would my robot disqualify????  who makes those decisions??

i nominate......

:)

Chris
Pretend this says something funny