 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3105
Re: rtl10 is SUPER FUN!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 03:51:40 GMT

"Chris Magno" <cmagno@rogers.com> wrote in message

Ummm,  Iain, this is what I have been saying all along!!!!

why try to make it light, when you can just add more motors!!!!

It's so fun to add motors. Just slap one on. It's that easy! :)

ALSO on another subject:

IAIN, I have a question.    2 day ago my robot was 90% done.    I had it
all working, AND I'd like to point out that when it placed a block it
was DEAD CENTER!!!!!  BUT my question is this.   when I ran several
tests the robot worked fine.     One day, my brother came over and i
thought I'd show off the robot.    It crashed, and skipped, and ground
gears.  it FAILED as a x robot!!!   I re-jigged everything, my brother
left, and i re-ran sever tests.  the robot worked fine.

I hate hate HATE HATE HATE when gears strip as a result of an axis hiting
something. It throws EVERYTHIGN OUT of alignment. IT takes 4.2 weeks to
press everytthing into place and get it running "just so" again.

Iain, My question to you as a professional robot builder is, WHY????

I dunno :) Mine is failing right now. It was going fine, now it does a few
moves, then CRAWLS to the next position at creep speed. I hate this
sometimes!!

does this happen to anyone else? Dose this happen in the real world??

You bet... we had a customer in recently. We had a small VMR3 running INSANE
FAST in the corner. Like 0.6 sec. intrusion time or something. ZIP ZIP ZIP.
It was shaking the table it was bolted on. So programmer yells "HEY, BRING
THE CUSTOMER BACK OVER HERE TO SEE THIS." So they do, and just as the
customer is coming over, WHAM, robot slams into overtravel target, all the
servo drives go into fault, all the servos LOCK SOLID, thing vibrates like a
Pro Shiatzu. Customer = not impressed.

    Iain