 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3089
Re: Love that Costco
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:03:59 GMT

I'll just jump in here with my 2 cents USD worth of wisdom...

Costco is a good deal if used sparingly and with some intelligence.  As it
happens, I am usually the cook of the household (as I am an unusually good
cook) and as a consequence I tend to do the shopping for grocery items as
well.  I also do electrical, plumbing, drywall, and automotive work (my
brother used to race NASCAR circle tracks) -- so I have a pretty good idea
of what a very wide array of household items cost. So if you walk in to a
costco and think tires for $65 dollars are a great deal -- I guess it
depends on the quality of the tire (and I am not obsessed by name brands
when I can go to Big O and get tires for $35 and get them to patch all my
holes besides). This last year I would have considered Hogwart's Castles for
$75, two huge jars of Nutella at $6-7 for both, and Prosciutto ham at $9-10
a lb. all good deals. I think I also bought twelve 12-gallon plastic chests
for lego storage this year for $6-7 each -- also not bad.  Often their
produce looks pretty good too -- I try to buy salad fixings when I go.  I
also buy items that I can split into two servings and freeze one while
enjoying the other the same week of purchase. If you had a a minimum family
of four, you could probably justify other foodstuffs as good deals too,
stuff like good cuts of beef and salmon fall into this category -- as it is
usually just me, or me and one other person, such deals are beyond my
ability to consume the items before they go bad or what have you.  I guess I
go several times a year with my annual cost offset by the fact that the
membership is co-purchased by myself and my ex-SO (still friends, of course).

I rarely buy larger cost items like electronics, office supplies, etc. at
Costco -- but it depends on the item.  I think I bought metal filing
cabinets there once but I can't recall if I thought they were a good deal or
not.

O, and the giant veggie pizzas for $10 seems like a good deal to me too.
Usually it comes as a thin crust loaded with a lot of junk on it -- an
excellent fast food alternative to a proper dinner after you have spent an
hour selecting your items and waiting in line to buy your stuff.

YMMV,

-- Hop-Frog