 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2129
Re: my monkey is hard......to build
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:27:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Trevyn Watson writes:
I dont know what your problem is, ive just gotta finish one claw, hook up
the pneumatics, and get another rcx, and another micro motor. then program
it. But the basic idea is sound, and it works...

btw, anyone got any designs for a claw less than four studs wide, powered
by a regular gear motor?

Wow! I'm glad there is another monkey in the works! It sounds like you are
taking an entirely different approach than me. If you really need another
RCX, I can lend you mine. My monkey doesn't need an RCX at all. I just use a
battery box (unless those in charge force me to use an RCX :) As far as my
'claws' go, currently they are two studs wide and powered by elastic bands:)
Actually, I was thinking about your configuration... and am wondering if you
could combine the functions a little, so you don't need the extra RCX or
micromotor. I'm assuming you use the micromotor to flip the pneumatic
switches. If you only have two switches, you could use only one motor with
some type of directional transmission. Or, even better, use pneumatic logic
to open the second switch. By this I mean that you would flip one switch
(say to close one claw) and at the end of its stroke, the cylinder on this
claw could flip the switch to open the other claw... No, maybe this wouldn't
work. Anyway, I'm just thinking. But saving yourself from having to use a
second RCX would save a lot of weight, which is going to be a major issue in
this contest.

Rob