 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16870
Re: t3d Postpone and Dave's Battlebots Smackdown
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:53:59 GMT

So....at dinner we figured we had to postponed t3d (Tic Tac Toe Drawn) into next
year....and to bring up another contest earlier.

One of the ideas floated (okay, the only idea floated) was Dave's Battlebots.
However, the question arose, should this be a RC controlled game (similar to the
live2 event we did a few years ago) or should it be autonomous?

Start your debate now (chirping crickets...tides receding...moon waxing and
waning)

Calum

So here we are, crickets chirping about this upcoming rtl 'bot event...

To further the discussion--Calum (and some others) have the idea that autonomous
battle 'bots might not be able to find one another so watching two 'bots moving
randomly on a playfield might be quite boring.

Two dorections to remedy this

1--use lights for the 'bots to detect one another, a la block exchange...

2--use RC control, which takes the 'bot right out of the equation.

I personally like a battle 'bot competition to be, well, actual robots and not
some glorified RC cars.  That said, I also had great fun at Live 1.5...  so I'm
good either way

RC is easier--no programming, and no putting your precious RCX into dangerous
situations...

What's it to be?  RC battle, or actaul battle 'bot?

Or another event altogether, like block exchanging with substantially less 'bots
on the field?

ooooh, I like that last one!

Dave K