 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16818
Re: t3d Postpone and Dave's Battlebots Smackdown
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:27:33 GMT

At 11:58 AM 10/23/06, you wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
At 12:02 AM 10/21/06, you wrote:

So....at dinner we figured we had to postponed t3d (Tic Tac Toe
Drawn) into next
year....and to bring up another contest earlier.

One of the ideas floated (okay, the only idea floated) was • Dave's Battlebots.
However, the question arose, should this be a RC controlled game
(similar to the
live2 event we did a few years ago) or should it be autonomous?

What sort of time frame did you have in mind?

I haven't visited Canada in a couple years...

We were thinking first week of January.

As in Jan 6?   Hmm...

I'd love to see some good LEGO destruction.  Unfortunately, I don't
think autonomous battlebots will be very satisfying.

On the other hand, with the NXT, it's possible to create a
remote-control system, where the controls won't interfere with each
other.  (if someone wanted to use their NXT for a battlebot)

Here's what I'd say:
12x12 inches
5lbs
Remote Control
On the 8ft x 8ft table
It looses if:
   It leaves the arena (by going over the 6 inch walls)
   Or it can't move on it's own for 10 seconds (this does not include
being pinned)

As much as I'd like to suggest "Our club" vs "Your club", I think we
should keep in mind the actual spirit of the event, which is more in
line with "carnage at all cost", or "you buy it, I break it".

I'm going to have to create a robot that can explode on impact...

Steve