 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16832
Re: Speaking of Canadian
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:09:54 GMT

On 10/24/06, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
Hahahaha!
Almost blew a double double through my nose...

My 4 year old did that.  It took me 10 minutes to clean him up.

-Rob A>

(FYI a "double double" is a Canadian word meaning a coffee with two
cream and two sugar in it)

Speaking of foreign languages, I would expect you to say "... two
creamS and two sugarS..."

Is what you said correct, or were you just lazy?

I'm not lazy - just anal and particular :)

I would say two cream or two sugar, implying two measures of cream or
two measures of sugar.  Cream and sugar can not be pluralized (in this
context) as they are effectively unit-less.

You could say "sugars" if referring to two different sugars, such as
glucose and sucrose (there are two sugars in this food) but if you
mean two teaspoons of sugar, then it is two teaspoons of sugar, not
two teaspoons of sugars...  Though of course, here in Canada I should
just say 10 ml sugar rather than 2 tsp, but almost no-one would know
what that actually meant in the real world.

And also to be anal and correct, dry goods (such as sugar) SHOULD be
measured by weight (i.e 9g in the previous sugar example) and not by
volume (10ml).

I also use this "no s" rule when speaking of beer.  You can have two
bottles (or cans, or cases) of beer, or just two beer (bottles or cans
implied) but never two beers (shudder)

-Rob A>