 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16373
Re: BASIC for the NXT was Re: R21 - Robot Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:49:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Dave Astolfo wrote:
for me. However, for the RCX and NXT, I am most comfortable with NQC (C#)...
strange... This might be expained by me being ambidextrous. Some things left,
some things right...

Dave,

NQC is not at all like C#.  Neither is RobotC.  Are you sure that is what you
mean?

Here's what I want:

a) An environment that works like BricXCC that allows for edit, debug and
compile from a graphical front end.

b) A language which looks like C and supports proper function/variable passing
(UNLIKE NQC).  Not C#, not BASIC, not Perl, not Java...I want C, the Kernighan
and Ritchie kind.

c) Proper hardware support for NXT hardware:  Eg motors, filesystem,
communications, sensors, LCD panel, BT, everything that's included in there.
Not some fanwank Open Source junk where someone ported gcc and can print "Hello
World"...to a command line...on a serial terminal...that's crap.  This hardware
support needs to be documented, in the environment.

d) A compiler for b) and c) that can be run from a)

It is my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the NBC today is an
assembler which a compiler needs to pass object from C source to be linked to.
This is of course an extremely important step and a welcome achievement.  But I
(and I would suspect a lot of rtlToronto folks as well as Lego enthusiasts in
general) want the equivalent of NQC + RCXCC.

I will settle for a C compiler with header files, BUT it would be much better if
it was a polished package.

Apparently I will give one Technic Mars Rover (or Sopwith Camel) to whoever can
deliver this first.  I'll even bring it to BrickFest and throw in an rtlToronto
t-shirt.

Calum