 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16370
Re: BASIC for the NXT was Re: R21 - Robot Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:45:43 GMT

On 11/07/06, Chris Magno <cmagno@rogers.com> wrote:
Rob Antonishen wrote:

P.S. Anyone coming with an NXT "demonstration" t-o-w bot, since they
are not allowed to compete?

I ~would~ BUT......I !HATE! the GUI programing software. (Yes I know it
was designed for kids, and I understand that I am not the target audience)

I have built several NXT bots, that have NO CODE, cause I am just not
young enough to grok GUI software.

I'm waiting for Ralph to surprise us with RH-Basic  or
Hemple-Design-Mostly-Basic-With-Some-Forth (HDMBWSF).  Come on all you
software creators, how about BASIC for the NXT?  This is a list of
people way smarter than me who might be able to do this.

It is an ARM based thing, so if the internals are well known enough,
maybe GCC can be made to compile for it as a target. I suppose it
would just be targetting the arm, and then finding the right stuff to
upload the code. Then comes the question of how much you interface
with firmware functionality and APIs and how much would need to be new
libraries. Getting the c language may be the easy bit, getting the
peripherals and a sensible library to do anything may not be. What is
the NXT's set up in terms of memory management? And how well known or
documented is its methods of dealing with the IO, USB and bluetooth
etc?

Okay C is not quite as simple as basic, but should be a good place for
those with LabVIEW aversions to start.

For me, GCC is all I need, once it is there I can bring my own IDE's,
makefiles, fancy front ends, code generation (bit of perl script) if
need be etc - there are plenty out there, and plenty I already use or
have used with other targets and systems on pure C.

Now one thing that would be useful would be to be able to throw debug
back out on the bluetooth (or USB if thats not possible) to the PC for
more complex code, ie the equivalent to "throw printfs in until you
know whats going on". I am aware that a bluetooth connection can be
set up to work as if it was something like a simple rs232 serial
connection.

Looking forward to this materialising (is it there already?)

Danny
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots