 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16367
Re: BASIC for the NXT was Re: R21 - Robot Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:04:53 GMT

Dave Astolfo MDP wrote:

I ~would~ BUT......I !HATE! the GUI programing software. (Yes I know it
was designed for kids, and I understand that I am not the target audience)

I have built several NXT bots, that have NO CODE, cause I am just not
young enough to grok GUI software.

Chris,

Have you seen/tried RobotC yet? I have been toying around with it (after trying
NBC for oh... 10 minutes then giving up - Assembly is not my forte) and it is
much like BriXCC / NQC.  C#-based and works quite well. I am in the midst of
getting a Mindsensors Motor multiplexer working with my NXT (to add a 4th motor
to DominoBotNXT).. So far so good. More on this later once I am done.

Dave

Dave, I did download it, never really started to get into it. I saw it
was trial-ware. While I can appreciate Dick wanted to recoup something
for his effort, I still have a dream.

BASIC for the lego Pbricks.

GUI is great for kids, and C is fantastic for those programmers who use
it.  I never learned C, (I tried a few times.)  I’m sorry, but Basic is
what I know, and for me I find it comes very naturally.  Its not the
best language, nor the most powerful, but in my mind, fits the bill for
a mid level text language.  More than a gui, not so hard to grasp as the
more powerful C languages.

10 Print "hello world"
20 goto 10

Even if you are not a programmer, you can grasp what that code will do.

While not proper, C and not the same function as the above example, this
next bit of code is not as natural for me.

program generic {
output A on 1
main{
power A 1
on [A ]
}
}

Take a look at many of the microcontrollers out there.  BASIC Stamp,
BASIC Atom, PICBASIC (to name 3)  there is a reason someone chose basic
as a language for the hobbyist.  I don’t want this to turn into a tread
of what language is best.  no one language is best.  I know what I would
like; I just don’t have the skill to create my own language.

Chris