 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15192
  Gluing Lego

Hi folks, I need to glue together some Lego sculptures (ersatz FLL trophies--hey, I learned a new word from reading rtlToronto). Could someone recommend a glue that is easily available at Home Depot? I've read Methyl Ethyl Ketone was what they use (...) (19 years ago, 15-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.general)

  Re: Gluing Lego

(...) Oateys All Purpose. That's what we used on KCCUSA(1) and it worked well. Noxious stuff so all the usual cautions apply, especially ventilation, although not quite as bad as MEK. Like MEK it works by melting the ABS so when the solvent (...) (19 years ago, 15-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Gluing Lego

(...) Calum, I'm ashamed of you. Did you learn NOTHING from that night of plumbing and water pipe drilling experience? (BTW I can't find that blog link with the cool illustration of how it all went down) Think for just a second. Lego is made of ABS. (...) (19 years ago, 15-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Gluing Lego

(...) You know as soon as I read Calum's message I thought, didn't he spend an evening helping Chris with his plumbing? Shouldn't he know what to use? Anyway, a little dab will do you. Personally I wouldn't even glue them. That's so not the point of (...) (19 years ago, 15-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Gluing Lego

(...) Chris forgets the key fact that the pipe he so brilliantly drilled through was copper, which, AFAIK, is bonded together using solder and a blowtorch, versus Oatey's (Thanks, Lar! I actually have a rough idea of the product you're talking (...) (19 years ago, 15-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Gluing Lego

MEK is about all that will work well. The parks use a combo of MEK and liquid ABS resin, but MEK will work well enough. You can get pint cans of it at various hardware stores, I'm pretty sure HD/Lowe's would have it in the paint dept. If not, try (...) (19 years ago, 16-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Gluing Lego

(...) Hey guys, Thanks for all of your suggestions--the event organizer is handling the gluing of the trophies now, so all I had to do was build them. He had been using Crazy Glue as one person had suggested, but it was pretty expensive. I had a can (...) (19 years ago, 18-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Gluing Lego

(...) I think it is a rare sort of glue where I say that crazy glue is LESS nasty, but it is... Oateys IS nasty stuff, so in my view that's a reason to use CA/ACC. That said, and while I know Ondrew has done some great work (and others have too) (...) (19 years ago, 19-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Gluing Lego

(...) I glue a lot of Lego bricks. (In a good cause.) I use clear PVC/CPVC pipe cement. It is MEK based but has filler so it doesn't vanish after you apply it and before you press the pieces together. Apply with a tooth pick. Practice first. You can (...) (19 years ago, 19-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)