 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14880
14879  |  14881
Subject:
lego technic DCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 19:58:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

ok, im not the first to do it, heck, im like the 100th.

this is my prototype DCC technic brick.

I want to make a "brick" that has a simple IN and OUT that can be hooked
  up in series, so that i can use it on ANY lego motor.

I bought a Digitrax DN121ip

http://www.digitrax.com/v1/dn121ip.htm

from a GREAT company called Digitrax

http://www.digitrax.com/

Its a good idea to Download the companion manual as well as the chip PDF.

http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/decodermanual.pdf

(page 17 shows the pin out diagram and what wires are what pins)

If i were to do it again, i would buy the DN121w

the (ip) chip has a 8 pin header designed to plug into pre socketed
trains. where as the plain old 121 (or w) has wires.  this way i wont
have to solder on my own wires.

This turned out to be a VERY easy project.

first i went to see daves page:

http://sparky.i989.net/ltraindcc.htm

then realized that i needed to back up a bit...

I started by loading new firmware into my RCX as outlined in Marks great
page:

http://home.surewest.net/markril/lego/dcc/index.html

then, i went to hunt down 4 wires to connect to this DCC chip.

2 wires go to the RCX, and 2 wires go to a lego motor.  its that easy.

http://www.thepyroguys.com/100_3832.JPG
http://www.thepyroguys.com/100_3833.JPG

my NEXT step is to try to cram all this into a regular 2x4 lego brick.

I DONT have too many of these. so I just had to use one that I found
near Janeys Red doll house last year at the hobby show.

what ever you do....

DO NOT show Janey this picture.

its important. DONT!!!

http://www.thepyroguys.com/000_0001.JPG

NOW, i know what your thinking.....

Ewwwww Chris.  thats a HACK JOB. and your right.  unfortuneatly, i do
not have access to John Barnes and his wonderful milling machine.

http://www.hitechnic.com/

so, side cutters and a knife is what i will use to hollow out Janeys red
brick.  sure i COULD use daves (or my) dremal

http://www.dremel.com/HTML/home_fr.html

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=14871

but im to lazy to get it.

Once it was all hooked up as per this picture from earlier....

http://www.thepyroguys.com/100_3832.JPG

all i had to do was RUN the rcx, and press the UP arrow on the remote
for the C motor and OMG....

it worked.

i have YET to "program" anything, or do more than make the motor spin. i
  AM very pleased to see that even at 1/2 power the motor seems to still
have lots of tourqe. (as tested by my fingers and staling the motor)

Chris