 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14220
Re: HACKED by AKINCILAR --OT-- and harsh language
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:42:25 GMT

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:38:17PM +0000, Calum Tsang wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Dan Boger wrote:
As long as you're on windows, you're should worry about such things.
And when you move off windows, you still need to think about it, but
not worry as much :)

I would worry even more with Linux or something else--unless you
really know what's going on, it's very hard for the average user to
know what the hell is going on underneath that layer.  You can put
lipstick on the pig with KDE or Gnome or something but who knows if
you've been r00ted by some l33t hax0r kiddie.  You need to have a good
comprehension of UNIX to figure stuff like that out.

While true that you wouldn't know if you were hacked, that's no
different than windows, is it?  The average user wouldn't know if their
XP box is a zombie now in a DDoS, would they?  The difference, as I see
it, is that on a Linux desktop, whoever set it up (the sysadmin at work,
or the distribution designer at home) is able protect it much better
than a windows box.

Pft, excuses excuses :)  Want a new host? :)

Well, I really kinda question the ISP who would use NT on Internet
facing servers.  I mean, I'm a big "use whatever customers want" kind
of guy, but NT out on the big scary Internet is really asking for it.
I'd use IIS only fronted by a heavy firewall on the outside and a
fortfied management LAN on the inside.

Better yet, IIS behind an application proxy that can protect it from
(some) attacks.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com