 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13255
Re: It's the oddest thing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:24:46 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jamie Obrien wrote:

it, but there's nothing in the error or access log as to what caused Apache to
stop functioning.  It's very odd--the server appears to be functioning
flawlessly--noting in the event viewer that would cause me consternation, but
Apache just locks up.

Does the process bork out or does the entire platform come down (ie, BSOD)

Calum

It's the Apache process--the actual server still chugs along with nary an
issue--Apache just stops--yet there's no sign of said stoppage in Event Viewer
or Task Manager

Further, using Apache Monitor, Apache Monitor says it's still running, and if I
hit 'restart' it says it's restarted, but still doesn't accept requests.  But if
I click 'stop' and wait until Apache stops, and click 'start', then Apache comes
up perfect again.

Exceedingly odd.

So in a script file that I run sporadically, I have 'apache -k shutdown' then
'apache -k start' and then things work fine.

so I'm thinking either Apache 2.xx doesn't like Win2K server edition, or the new
hardware works great for games, but not great as a server.

Dave K
Ugggh, win2k :(  hers a long shot, try replacing the network card with another,
you wouldnt have an intel card handy? Other than that, could you downgrade a
version or 2 of apache to see if that helps.

I can replicate your symptons, but if thats your problem, well, youve got bigger
problems. Any hints in your firewall logs? I can really screw with dynamic
addressing, the latest versions seem to have fixed this, but opened up a few
other doors ;)

worst case sscenario, load up something like FC2 onto a small HD and try that.
You shouyld be able to use most of your apache and MySQL settings, just export
the data. It should only take about an hour to get the system live. Then you can
discover the joys of IPTABLES :) :)

depending on the amount of grunt you need, wine maybe able to handle some of you
ms needs.

ja ne
jamie

Thanks for the info and the help, Jamie

It's been pretty smooth the last 2 days, so i'll let it go for now.  Worst case,
I haul out the old deskpro and turn it on again.

Or just install Pro on the box I have now.

Eitehr way, Sparky's Space  will continue

Thanks

Dave K