 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13227
13226  |  13228
Subject:
It's the oddest thing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:11:12 GMT

So I've been running a website from my home fornumerous years now-

First I used a Compaq DeskPro 2000 P 150 system with Win98 and Personal Web
Services running, thinking it wouldn't get alotta traffic.

THen I found out that my little website really did generate lots of traffic, so
I installed Apache on Win98 on the same box.  That worked fine for the longest
time.

I then got my hands on a Compaq EN 6300 chassis (P2 300) and installed Win2k Pro
and Apache, and that was my box for 2+years--just routinely patched OS as
Microsoft sent out updates, but it pretty much ran flawless for many years.

About a month ago I formatted the drive on my PC clone P3-450 with a gig of
memory (my old EQ gaming system) and installed Win2K Server, and installed
Apache (exactly the same as my previous server installation of Apache) and
Apache seems to lock up every few days--I have to shut Apache down and restart
it, but there's nothing in the error or access log as to what caused Apache to
stop functioning.  It's very odd--the server appears to be functioning
flawlessly--noting in the event viewer that would cause me consternation, but
Apache just locks up.

Anyway, I don't know if it's the hardware (I doubt it) or the Win2K Server
(maybe).  I may just format the HD again and just install Win2K Pro on the box
and see if that remedies the situation--but that's an awful lot of work.  RIght
now I just have something in the scheduled tasks that shuts down and restarts
Apache periodically, but that's just a work-around...

Anyway, knowing that many many smart folks lurk in rtlT, I'm throwing it out
there to the masses--maybe someone out there knows a flaw or something...

No I will not run Linux.

Dave K