 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13084
Re: Uh Oh...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:41:38 GMT

"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote:

(seriously--scroll down and look ath the country stats--2 visits from • Iran.
Iran!!  I think that's sooo cool!!)

I have a fun story about Iran.  In about 2000-2001, we took on this huuuuuge
project to build a massive, 4-phase automation system for building dry cell
batteries.  The input to the automation was the dough (mixed by the
company), and the output was fully finished wafers/cells that were then
stacked manually into the batteries, and a lid put on.  Pretty impressive
stuff.

So anyway, the company had problems and from what I understand we didn't get
paid very much of the (very large) pricetag.  They closed their doors, and
shipped off their machinery to China to their sister company.

In the process of trying to get it back, we got a call from a guy in
Australia, saying he was a third-party integrator saying he'd recently
acquired some strange looking equipment from us that he thought was for
baking cookies.  We were baffled until we realised he thought that our
calendar roller tower, to very accurately roll the dough into proper
thickness, and mulling and scraping robots were in fact for baking cookies.

A year ago we get a strange email from someone (non location specific)
saying he's got some of our equipment bought from somewhere, and wants to
know if we can make a service call to fix it/get it up and running.  He
describes it again as bakery machinery.

We look up the domain and webpage from his email address and he's an
integrator in IRAN.

So now we joke that if you ever buy cookies from Iran that are thin, square,
wrapped singly in tissue paper and have a little metal tab sticking out the
top, STAY AWAY.

    Iain