 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12746
Re: limp-in mode
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:02:12 GMT

whilst perusing my '88 Dodge Dakota manual, looking for engine light codes and
what they stand for, I read that the truck has a 'limp in' mode, meaning that if
there was an issue that the truck computer noticed, the computer would still
allow you to drive the truck to the repair facility.

Thanks for letting me do this, truck computer.

Yeah, most modern vehicles with an ECU of some sort have this limp in mode.  For
extra FYI, in some vehicles, attaching anything to the OBD connector forces the
ECU into limp in.

The funny bit is that the 'puter in the '88 Dodge is one of the first, and
there's no external plug-in for diagnosis--you can only read the engine light
flashes to know what's going inside there...

ANyway, I'm in 'limp in' mode right now--my laptop somehow magically lost access
to the hard drive between work and home on Dec 24, and since all my e-mail

So can you pull the drive and move it onto another machine?  I presume the Dave
the Great Support Analyst has the requisite 44 pin high density to 40 pin IDE
cable, right?

I've been trying to get my company to spring for one of these.  Tomorrow I'll
hopefully finally convince the boss that I need one.  In the interm, the
sequence of diagnosis goes something like "Hey Scott!  Can I borrow your
Satellite 3000?  I want to swap HD"s for a sec."  If my HD works in his laptop
(same model) then I know it ain't the actual HD... then I'll work from there.

the other thing! :)  Yep, pretty much estatically happy at this time.

"Why do birds, suddenly appear?"

Pretty much smitten...

fifth, how does Calum handle the variously differing people from rtlT without
completely coming unglued??  Must be that the watching of WW keeps him sane.

I usually think What Would Chris Do?  I even have a wristband that says WWCD!
It's made of Clikits.

I'd like to see that sometime.  Yep, Chris seems to know what to do in all
situations...

Calum

Here's to anotehr great year for rtlT.  We had a pretty good 2004, and I think
that '05 will be pretty awesome!

Dave K