 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12412
12411  |  12413
Subject:
Arrrgghhh!!!!! (part deux)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:56:11 GMT

So I purchased a brand spankin' new 'puter system yesterday ('cause EQ2's been
out for over a week now and I'm missing the lands o' norrath...)

and I takes the system to work, to configure it in my spare time.

So I put XP Pro ion it, get all the latest patches and such, but what  I didn't
do was a) install Zone Alarm and 2) disable a whole bunch of services that
aren't needed to run a home system--Terminal Server connections?  Sure at work
I' on like 40+ terminal servers across Canada maintaining them, but for home
use?  Why is this an automatic startup feature???  Idiots...

Anyway, get the system all up and running--all hardware configured and then I
takes the system to my abode.

Wasn't plugged into the high speed cable connex for more than 2 minutes before
pop-ups started appearing.

4 hours later, after tracking down registry entries, deleting directories and
files, and basically purging my new system of spyware, it's back to semi-normal.

Microsoft sux.

Anyway, disabled yet even more processes, got Zone Alarm running, and also put
the system behind my hardware router/firewall.  The only thing left is an
annoying little thing that happens in Internet Explorer--I know that many of you
will say that this is the problem right there--i.e. IE ;) but it's what's on the
system and I have to use it at work 'n such, so I'll stick with it. Anyway,
after IE's open, about 1-2 minutes later a 'search' window appears at the left
with all sorts of dumb links.  Can't find in the registry where to stop this
from occurring.  Maybe I shuold have put this in o.t.geek instead, but I trust
that rtl lurkers are pretty smart as well.

Anyway, daves new soooper 'puter is a p4 3.0 with 128 meg Asus/ATI AX600EX video
card and a gig of ram, with these 'new' sata drives.  Now more for me to read up
on...

Well, my nights are now booked between LEGO and EQ2.  Waittaminute, not much ahs
changed when my nights were booked for LEGO and EQ1.

Dave K