 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12415
Re: Arrrgghhh!!!!! (part deux)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:23:04 GMT

the system behind my hardware router/firewall.  The only thing left is an
annoying little thing that happens in Internet Explorer--I know that many of you
will say that this is the problem right there--i.e. IE ;) but it's what's on the
system and I have to use it at work 'n such, so I'll stick with it. Anyway,
after IE's open, about 1-2 minutes later a 'search' window appears at the left
with all sorts of dumb links.  Can't find in the registry where to stop this
from occurring.  Maybe I shuold have put this in o.t.geek instead, but I trust
that rtl lurkers are pretty smart as well.

Same problem with W2K.

I used Spybot S&D <http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html> and
Adaware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/> but it kept
coming back...

I eventually resorted to HijackThis
<http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html> which is
definately the swiss army knife of spywareware removal tools.  Doesn't
actually identify spyware by signature but identifes all spyware type
things, including Browser Helper Objects, which  are often desired
things.  Big caution here as one can do more damage than good with
this baby.

When it was clean I used: IE Spyad
<https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm> to add a huge list
of known spyware sites to my restricted list, and installed
SpywareBlaster <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html>
to provide real-time blocking.

I also got the whole family moved over to Firefox
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/> as a default web browser
and Thunderbird <http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/> for
mail.

-Rob.