 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11635
Re: RTL 17 -- THE EDGE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:58:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

I think you guys have actually found an event easier than sumo.  (1)

Thanks for not worring about creating an original event.  (1)

Ah, so you'll be entering?  Excellent.  See ya at the finish line! (1)

    Iain

(1) When you arrive there 5 seconds after me, or as you blow past it and smash
on the floor.

I don't expect either of those to happen.  I have a robot that has entered
several line following events:

including this:
http://www.chibots.org/contests/april2003/basicline.html

Where it was able to follow a line at over 80 cm/s.  Assuming the course is
400cm (or ~13 ft) the whole race would only take 5 seconds, at line-following
speed.

I entered it in an "Accurate Stop" event (the web site is down right now), where
it had to run about 20 feet, then stop.  It took under 5 seconds, and the
stopping distance was less than the length of the robot 20cm? (~8 inches).  I
doubt stopping will be a problem in 45cm.

There's no web page for the event we had a couple weeks ago.  At one of our
meetings, one of the 9 yr olds challenged everyone else to build a drag racer,
so at the next meeting (two weeks later) we had the competition.

But here's a link to the ITLug page, where they ran a drag racing event three
years ago:
http://itlug.maino.org/itlug_20000122/legofest_3_e.php

And the Seattle group, SMART:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/?n=78

There was one at BricksWest:
http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickswest/?n=426

If I lived in Toronto, I would certainly build a robot, and show up.  But it
takes a little more effort for me, than it does for most of you (including
David).

My guess for the winning time: less than 3 seconds.

Steve