 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10452
Re: I dont want to be a "steve"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:44:19 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
means the goal was to 'Not Lose'.  Is that a valid strategy?

If you read the goal as not lose, then you've read it wrong

Sorry I wasn't clear. In most competitions, I think the 'not lose' is more or
less implied.

In C$, a robot will lose if it mis-drops a chip (and signals end-of-turn).  Yes,
I read that as "A goal is to not lose"

I suspect most people who enter rtl15 will consider their robot a success if it
can go all day with making mechanical mistakes.  If it can go all day, and 'not
lose.'

Getting out-played, out-sorted, or out-pushed...  well, that's another subject.
That's about winning.

There's a big difference between playing to win and playing to not-lose.

That's no different than building a 'marble sorting robot' that just sits in
it's home square for 3 minutes, and hopes the other guy does a bad job of
sorting.

That's just dumb.  That's like me entering into a block of wood into a Formula1

Again, maybe I didn't say it well.  You've run the marble event before, right?
Did anyone ever get a negative score?  (more of the 'other' marbles than it's
own?)  Have you ever seen a sumo event where a robot leaves the ring without any
help from the opponent?  Both of these would lose to a sticker.  :)

I'm really not sure why you hate me over this one issue.

Because your poking at the issue was nonproductive and stupid.  It shows one
component of your attitude, which appears to be "make fun of the rules".

I've tried to offer input and suggestions about ways to improve the rules, for
the sake of fairness.

Just like when I suggested changing the size of the common area.  It wasn't
because I was making fun of anything, it was because I seriously thought they
needed to be changed.  I'm glad they were.

That's the seceond problem I have with your attitude, which is that you're
willing to be a dink to win.

Actually, that's not true.  I am willing to be a dink to prove a point.  :)
And, yes, sometimes I think those points need to be made.

You should never put winning at the expense of being
groaned at.  No one should ever have a "I don't want to be a "Steve"" subject
line.

If anyone other than Chris or Calum had made that original post, I would be
bothered by it.  But Chris and I talk to each other in a way most people don't
understand.

I'm sure many people reading this group think Chris hates me, and I hate him.  I
know for a fact, that's not true.

instead of "Steve, the guy who pokes at being a dink and
makes people groan at the cost of winning".

But see, I don't make people groan at the cost of winning.  (or win at the cost
of making people groan)  I doubt you can offer any examples, unless you consider
my pipe racer entry (in the configuration it competed) to be groan/dinkable.

You're free to suggest that I did that at the Scree Runner event, but you should
also note that in addition to the Scree Wacker, I also built X-Bot, which was
able to actually climb the scree faster than any other entry.

If I hear any groans at rtlToronto15, you're out of it.

I can already hear Chris groaning...  :)

Steve