 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10271
Re: stop when it isn't fun anymore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:07:46 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
"Rob Stehlik" <rob.stehlik@sympatico.ca> wrote:

I didn't have the heart to tell anyone that the reason our AS 206 SP machine
has a 3:2 ratio is beacuse of the 24:16 tooth gears used on the original
LEGO model.

:)

I never did make a LEGO model of the Side Entry machine.  I
wanted to, but as you pointed out it is almost impossible.  The only way it
seems to be able to be done is with 16:8 tooth gears, which is of course
impractical because of the prohibitave amount of backlash in the small
teeth.

I have used this combo in a planetary gearset to produce straight line motion.
Remember the video clip I sent you? It works, and the Lego geometry is perfect,
but as you said the backlash is pretty high.

Seriously, sweet idea though.  I'm touched :)  Started on a marble robot
today.

Well, it was your idea... I just thought about stealing it for a new
application.

I look forward to the marbles. What do you think about the marble idea for the
next event?

Rob