 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10266
Re: stop when it isn't fun anymore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 04:21:16 GMT

"Rob Stehlik" <rob.stehlik@sympatico.ca> wrote:

of a connect four robot anyway. I had a wild idea to make a rotary arm • like
Iain's viper to scan the board, but I would need 2:1 gearing at the elbow • to
produce the straight line motion at the end. This is not easily done with
Lego.

I didn't have the heart to tell anyone that the reason our AS 206 SP machine
has a 3:2 ratio is beacuse of the 24:16 tooth gears used on the original
LEGO model.  I never did make a LEGO model of the Side Entry machine.  I
wanted to, but as you pointed out it is almost impossible.  The only way it
seems to be able to be done is with 16:8 tooth gears, which is of course
impractical because of the prohibitave amount of backlash in the small
teeth.

Seriously, sweet idea though.  I'm touched :)  Started on a marble robot
today.

    Iain