 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 267
266  |  268
Subject:
Supertrain 2001 (was Re: Making up our collective minds...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:56:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:
Absolutely.  I RX'd by snail-mail the application form for Supertrain
2001 in Calgary.  There's a couple of things I should mention right
away, as it will affect the thread greatly I suspect.

1. There are three categories of attendee - Our non-profit display
category will be paid (unless I've read something really wrong) based
on a formula that includes distance traveled (We can probably count
it as from St. Paul, since that's where the bulk is coming from, even
if Michel himself isn't.) and popularity with the show viewers.  Given
our 2nd place finish with the modest layout last month, and the distance
from St. Paul, I wouldn't be surprised if we were the highest multiple.
I have NO idea what size the payout pool is, but if we got $100 to cover
food and fuel, that would certainly help.  Who knows, we might even be
able to buy some additional LEGO to make a bigger and better display
next time.  Such funds would also be a great source for a kids play
section, since any losses wouldn't directly affect us.

2.  The expectation for a layout diagram (Kevin - Are we closest to O scale?)
assumes that track and tables are fixed in their relation to each other.
(ie. Our layout is 5’ by 15’ and this side should be backed against a wall
or another display.)  To be able to make a layout basically any size or
shape is a HUGE advantage.

True.  Have you gotten any indication from them what size they would give us?
The largest we can take up (without using the roundtable) is 120" x 180" or
150" x 150".  If we have the roundtable, we can increase that to 150" x 180".
Obviously we can also run longer and narrower if we want.

Well it's at "The Big 4 Building in Stampede Park" and they mention that
"we may have to place pillars within or adjacent to your display" and that
no propane or internal combustion during the show, so I think that there's
a lot of room.  I was thinking of loading as much LEGO as I could into my
Honda and filling up as many tables as they provided.  :-)  If we only use
Michel's (and James?) tables, we can't do a massive display.  Part of
the description they want to know is "will spectators be permitted to
participate?" - are we ready to try a kids play area?  Perhaps we could
fill James van with tables, and fill my car with LEGO - I'll just take
it all straight home afterwards, right?  8-)  That would leave room for
Kevin and one more person, although James and I could do it on our own.

1b. We can't accept a check written to NALug, so we'd have to use one
of our names, unless someone has a better suggestion.

ME!  ME!  Pick me!  Which is to say, nope, no better suggestions. ;)

Well they managed to spell my name wrong - Doubt you'd have that problem.

SRC