 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 258
Re: Making up our collective minds...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 00:44:13 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, James Brown writes:
OK, like Michel suggested, it's probably a good idea to slow down
the tossing around of new ideas, and make some decisions.  Before
we start deciding on specific layout considerations, we should get
some ground level stuff out of the way.

When's our next show?  This is the first thing we need to figure
out - it determines our deadlines.

Absolutely.  I RX'd by snail-mail the application form for Supertrain
2001 in Calgary.  There's a couple of things I should mention right
away, as it will affect the thread greatly I suspect.

1. There are three categories of attendee - Our non-profit display
category will be paid (unless I've read something really wrong) based
on a formula that includes distance traveled (We can probably count
it as from St. Paul, since that's where the bulk is coming from, even
if Michel himself isn't.) and popularity with the show viewers.  Given
our 2nd place finish with the modest layout last month, and the distance
from St. Paul, I wouldn't be surprised if we were the highest multiple.
I have NO idea what size the payout pool is, but if we got $100 to cover
food and fuel, that would certainly help.  Who knows, we might even be
able to buy some additional LEGO to make a bigger and better display
next time.  Such funds would also be a great source for a kids play
section, since any losses wouldn't directly affect us.

2.  The expectation for a layout diagram (Kevin - Are we closest to O scale?)
assumes that track and tables are fixed in their relation to each other.
(ie. Our layout is 5’ by 15’ and this side should be backed against a wall
or another display.)  To be able to make a layout basically any size or
shape is a HUGE advantage.  I was thinking how cool it would be to show
up all the conventional train guys by having the organizers provide the
tables and one electrical outlet, with us arriving with a van full of LEGO.
We’d build the layout right then and there, (everything pre-assembled but
the track of course) even if there were pillars to work around (it’s a
skyscraper in our town) and we could even change it from day to day.  :-)

1b. We can't accept a check written to NALug, so we'd have to use one
of our names, unless someone has a better suggestion.

1c. I can probably stay with my sister in Calgary - what about James
or anyone else who wants to come - any friends or relatives?

SRC