 Organizations / Australia / 1627
Re: Aussie train org?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 05:23:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.org.au, Ross Crawford writes:
Hi all,
So who would be interested? Do we want to look at setting up a mailing list
or something? Is there one already?
Given most of us hang out here, unless there's any (local) objections LUGnet
is a good place to post info.
Sure, I just thought maybe if we're gonna start talking about organisational
stuff, who's doing what with train tables, what we want to call ourselves
(nice to have a name for train shows), how we handle money / bricks / other >resources (as a group) etc its nicer to keep it out of .loc.au. Maybe .org.au >is OK for now.
Maybe if we can agree on a name, we could get a .org.trains group set up.

The Americans love the (Location)LTC form (much as they love the (loc)LUG.)
This would make us
ALTC Australian...
EALTC Eastern Australia
PELTC Pacific East
NHLTC New Holland
TILTC Terra Incognito
TALTC Terra Australis
and many more variations.

Anyone want to express a preference? Is there any objection to forming a
"Australian" group that meets/draws from eastern captials?

I have old 12v stuff, some stock and could do some scenery.
Cool. I think scenery is gonna be the major requirement - a layout is nice, >but without scenery, it's kinda ordinary.

It'd be good to get some solid plans together if we wanna do something with
this. Any takers?

Taken from the "diary" at the Australian model railway magazine site. If
anyone has a better time/place/date please chime in!!
MARSFIELD - NSW. June 8-10, 2002 at the Epping Boys High School, Cnr Epping
Rd & Vimera Rd, Marsfield. Open 10am-5pm (Sat/Sun/Mon). Admission $8/$4/$20.
Organised by the Epping Model Railway Club Inc. Enquiries: Alan Tarrant (02)
4365 5046.
Is that the long weekend? If so, I may be able to commit some time
manning-wise, but it's unlikely I'd be able to help setting up. Any info about
what time we have available to set up? We'd probably need some extra setup >time as this is our first show.

Yep, it's a long w'end. I have just spoken to Alan, he'll talk to the
organising commitee Friday and get back to us. I assured him that we wanted
to do a professional layout. This is going to mean nothing
unfinished/missing and probably a dry run January sometime.

Well, probably manning the display will mostly be Sydney-siders, but I think >we can all contribute with brick, etc. I'm certainly happy to. We need to >work out how people can contribute without actually being there, if >necessary. ie How do we pay for transporting contributions, what to do if
stuff gets lost or broken,etc

I'm happy to be chief wrangler on this one, managing bricks/models that are
lent for the display. Money is something to be discussed amongst all those
keen. Something for the mailing list?

Yep. Height is important. It's a pain having heaps of different height tables.
Any wood-workers among us?

I have contacts with University of Technology Sydney, and could have them
made there. The cost may not be much cheaper than shelf bought though.
I'll check soonish. Meanwhile if anyone else wants to suggest...

Also need to work out how much track we need, and who can supply it. We have >at least a couple of people with 12v stuff, so we need to take that into >account when designing the layout, unless we decide to stick with one type >only?

Personally I'd prefer to stick with 9v. And since it will tend to a smaller
layout it's possible that a single person may be able to supply almost all
the track.

Cool. Seems that info about display size, costs, etc is the main thing to find
out first. Please keep us all up on progress! Do you need any help organising
anything else?

Cost and display size info will be forthcoming after the meeting. More info
next week.
Meantime, if a mailing list is started and discussions about name and money
go on, this would lay more track as it were. (sorrt, couldn't help myself)

James (who likes TALC, Trains of Australian LEGO Club)