 Organizations / Australia / 1503
Re: Application to exhibit (or why one shouldn't post too soon)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:25:18 GMT

Do we have enough personpower to cover this amount of time, considering • two
persons would have to be there at any one time to cover toilet breaks and
food/drink breaks.

And you are standing for the whole time which gets painful very quickly.
Even a half day stint at this kind of thing knocks me for six. If you aren't
in the habit of standing all day, you will be surprised at how hard it is. A
lot of people think that because they can walk all day, that therefore they
can stand all day. However, this is not generally true. Standing is a lot
harder, something to do with the muscle groups (but I forget the details).

Anyhow, my point is that people should probably be rostered on and off
throughout the day to give people time to sit/walk/relax and, of course, to
view the other exhibits.

At least the other exhibits might be interesting at this event. My last
stint was at a Retirement & Leisure Expo (I was flogging memberships in the
Genealogical Society of Queensland in case you are wondering). Well, it was
the most depressing event. Most of the other exhibitors seemed to be:

* funeral directors
* nursing home/retirement villages
* medical/nursing aids for various disabilities
* financial planners

It certainly didn't present a image of people enjoying a retirement of happy
leisure! I'd been expecting to see caravans, fishing equipment, gardening,
travel agents, handicrafts, DIY, etc. I think the people who paid $8
admission must have felt very ripped off (my mother-in-law was certainly
unimpressed).

Kerry