 Local / Australia / 4942
Re: Application to exhibit (or why one shouldn't post too soon)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:19:23 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter White writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
Dates and times
Fri 28sep 11-1 set up
Sat 29sep 9-6 exhibition (access 1hr early for exhibitors)
Sun 30sep 9-6    "                 "               "
Mon 1oct 9-5     "                 "               "
Do we have enough personpower to cover this amount of time, considering two
persons would have to be there at any one time to cover toilet breaks and
food/drink breaks.

Studs has around 6 people? the mugs are keen maybe two of them, assume half
the Studs can't make it on a given day and a MUG is sleeping, that's still
3-4 people. The layout won't require 2 to operate (one imagines) so, we
should be right.
The biggest drains peoplewise will be setup/teardown.

Standard of exhibits
Committee will accept exhibits on merit taking into account the attaction
and interst provided to the viewing public. Prior to acceptance the
committee may wish to inspect the exhibit.
Layouts are to have a suitable covering below the viewing area to near floor
level. Exhibitors should supply screens or backdrops to their layouts and
dividers between adjacent stands.
(from Application to exhibit form: crepe paper or similar not permissible
under fire regs, an approved type fire extinguisher is required on each stand)

I can see us going to a lot of expense and trouble setting this thing up and
then having the application rejected.
Backdrops ? Dividers ?

With some canny words we might get all this done for us. Assuming LA wanted
to help out this'd be the sort of stuff the could do. Otherwise I've got
access to most of this already, I'd need to call in a few favours though...

Non-commercial
payment will be made towards reimbursing the cost of travelling expences
etc, pending completion of a claim form issued at exhibition.
Q: I assume this means we won't have to pay to display, yay!
What if the application is successful ? But I guess if they are paying to put
the display on, they have a right to veto what goes into it.

As i said in the earlier reply to Santosh, the reimbursment is a cut from
the public entry money .

Insurance cover
non-commercial exhibits will be covered against burglary and fire damage
only. The policy is not an all risks cover. Exhibitors are reasponsible for
the supervision of their stand at all times during normal exhibition hours
Burglary is probably the greatest risk. What security arrangements do they
have ? The other trains would probably go first, but do you want to leave
thousands of dollars worth of Lego somewhere for four days.

The place will be very secured, think of all the rest of the stuff there.
All one problem with security and AMRA can say goodbye to most of next
year's exhibitors. Trust me, they'll be keener than you to avoid any theft.

Each non-commercial stand is to display details of their exhibit (scale,
era, prototype and any relevant information on the layout) including the
name of the person, club or association in a form easily read by viewers.
Stand numbers will be provided by AMRA at the exhibition.

Dare I ask what banner we would be standing behind ?

If necessary we can give an individual as a contact.

Q; do we have an era and prototype in mind?
How about Monorail 3001 ?

'fraid I don't have any, you?

Like Santosh I think a smaller show would be better to do first.
We could visit the AMRA show this year just as spectators.
James, I would be seeing who will put their hands up for what days first,
before going to the trouble above.
Liverpool could be hard/time consuming to get to for most people, you're
looking at 13 hour days minimum (incl.travelling).

I agree smaller show, but we need to keep AMRA-NSW in mind. As for workers,
fair enough. Show of hands then?

pete.w(who remembers the show I organised at W4K, and it was Pete.C and >myself, behind a Studs banner (grrr..), though others did offer creations)

James (who remembers the show too, except he had exams the following week...)