 Local / Australia / 4950
Re: Application to exhibit (or why one shouldn't post too soon)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:15:02 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
The important info and relevant questions associated with particular issues
follow.
Standard of exhibits
Committee will accept exhibits on merit taking into account the attaction
and interst provided to the viewing public. Prior to acceptance the
committee may wish to inspect the exhibit.
Q: This means we need at least one test run set up to show any possible
visitors. Building time, space and location are all involved here, as well
as the possible interstate contributions.

Yes a Test run is essential, maybe more than one.

Are you thinking a public test run or a home thing?

Well We'd need to have a display first before we actually [go] display. And
this means giving a trial run in priavte first. That is to say, we get
together, with all the track and trains. As much of the scenery and extra
goodies as possible. All the components for the display such as
tables/barriers/backdrops etc..

Put it all together stand back and go "she'll be right mate" or "gee this
looks pretty crappy". Under no circumtances should our display be a case of
meeting up on the day and doing whatever's possible. This wouldn't give a
good first impression to anyone, espcially if this is the showcase event.

Thats why I'm suggesting that we perhaps put together a simple display
amongst ourselves first, with minimal scenery etc..and then display at a
small local train event. Perhaps that could be the goal for this year. So
that at least SOME of the trainheads are aware of us. Then we can
refine/expand our display through more little shows and then go for the
biggie next year when we have had more experience.

Because admission is charged and there AMRA doesn't take a huge cut, there's
some for everybody (of course commerecial and semi-commercials have to pay
by the sqmetre)

Money for the Lego side of things is no problem, afterall we're just buying
Lego (if needed), its the other things that I'm concerned about, such as the
tables, the backdrops etc..I'm fairly certain none of us are doing this to
make any profit so whether it makes money or not i don't mind. Lets just
have some fun.

Of course we can horrify other exhibitors by breaking our models...

A high speed train bungee jump?

I guess then era=now (diesels, some tourist steamers)
prototype = main-line mostly frieght and some passenger.

I don't understand why they want this information. It's a train, it runs on
tracks - thats what impresses me. I don't care much for the fact that a
particular model is not realistic because the lamp is on the right hand side
and not the left side.

If they want an answer then ERA = various, PROTOTYPE = various, that'd cover us.

James, Am i guessing right that this is in fact a Competition? That is to
say that all displays will be judged against a series of criteria? Do we
actually need to satisfy all the competition conditions? Can't we just go
and display?

It's not strictly a competition, there are prizes in various catagories,
though. The restrictions are there because this is their flagship show,
there's limited floor space (it's still in one of the biggest (cheapish)
venues in Syd) and there has to be interesting stuff for the public. Hence
no unfinished setups, nothing too mundane and unchallenging and so on.

See my point earlier, that if we're going to go ahead and display here I
think we'd have to have something WOW-able..not just "oh look lego, now whys
that here?"..

We can do the whole "look its a lego train going round and round" at a
smaller event. Though having said that wouldn't it be neat to surprise
everybody there with a very funky display that hadn't been hinted about to
anyone beforehand!

I think other shows would be great to do, cut our teeth and so on, I picked
NSW-AMRA because it's relativly far away, it's a long weekend, there'll be
plenty of intrest and people there. Since it's a biggie, there's a better
chance of convincing LA to pitch in (i.e barriers, partitions, flyers, all
the stuff a corparation can do without breaking a sweat). On the other hand
if we've shown that we can do it on our own, that we have the experience
that'd go down better with LA too. If someone knows of a sooner show that we
could do a display for that'd be great. the Q: is will someone stick up
their hand to find out more info.

Your right about trying to get LA involved, and whether they'll support us
form the beginning or if they'd want a proven thing is not known yet.

My personal impression is that we wouldn't be ready for the NMRA show yet,
because I'd like to see a neat display myself first before wanting to show
others, and then to challenge the trainheads at the pinnicle of their
events, we'd have to have soemthing impressive. (I think i'm labouring on
that a bit too much).

Also I'll help out however I can (within the usual limitations of
work/family etc..). I still have not heard from my superiors about If I'm
remaining in Sydney or not, but as i said earlier, I'm happy to lend my gear
if required.

Also are there people commited to a train club that'd be displaying every
couple of months or do we have to rely on the support of non-trainheads (or
even gasp! non-legoheads)?

Sure why not. I wanted to do model trains at one point, but I didnt like
their lack of flexibility. Lego trains are a perfect alternative!

Santosh
(who's willing to be another only one, right next to James)