 Off-Topic / Pun / 62
Re: Auction: 4564 and 4555 Train sets; Update 8
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 22:18:38 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> writes:

Hugo Matre wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, John Neal writes:
Yeah har icky var in Norge.  Howz' that?;-)

That's fine. The only word I understand is "Norge". :-))

Really?  That was a phrase my freshman college roommate used to say
after having taken first semester Norwegian.  I think he claimed it was
the *only* phrase he learned in Norwegian;-)  It was supposed to say "I
have never been to Norway"-- how would one write that correctly?

Nah, It's not that bad.  In Norwegian it would be:

    "Jeg har ikke vært i Norge."

I'm trying to see if I can explain how the words should be said, but
it's a bit hard.

--"Jeg": Almost like "Yay!", except that the "e" should be said like in
"yeah".  So you got that right.

--"har": The "a" sound is like in "hard".

--"ikke": Well, "icky" is probably very close!

--"vært": Not as difficult as it looks.  The "æ" is said like the "a"
  sound in "can".  The "r" is rather short, so you can usually get away
  with "væt".  At least that's better and simpler than trying to
  pronounce it.  For some foreigners, anyway!

--"i": Say "in" without the "n".

--"Norge": Now, that's hard.  Let's split it in two: "Nor" would be like
  the English "nor", actually.  "Ge" would be said like in "target",
  except that you skip the "tar" part as well as the trailing "t".

And here's a trick if you're ever going to Norway.  If you can say
"norsk" to the officer at passport control, you don't have to show your
passport!  Works everytime.

Fredrik