 Off-Topic / Geek / 919
Re: Passed last exam - call me MCSE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 06:03:50 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Mike Stanley wrote:

Makes me wonder .... maybe we need .off-topic.job-networking ? ;D

Sounds like a good idea to me! We're hiring. You need to like to travel,
though.

I keep hearing that from various places.  I'm beginning to warm to
the idea, but I guess I won't know _for sure_ until I actually do it
for a while.

When I say we're hiring, I'm talking to everyone, not just you, Mike...
:-)

Travel can be very very rough. You need a supportive wife. Mine does not
work *outside the house* but she works very very hard, she deals with
all the stuff that normally is shared (either she does it or she hires
someone to do it) about keeping up a place. When I'm home, I don't want
to do maint, I want to be with family.

I know I don't want to relocate, at least not anytime soon.  We're
centrally located between the majority of both families, and with
Rachael's mom still fighting the good fight against cancer, there's
no way I'd take her farther away from home.

NOT relocating was my number one criterion for changing jobs. 5 years
ago when I left IBM to go to Cambridge Technology Partners, it was a
stumbling block. 6 months ago it was more like, at company after
company, "of course you don't have to relocate if you're OK with
travel"...

.off-topic.job-networking DOES sound like a good idea to me, and I
bet it does to other people as well.  Much more useful (for me) than
an Arctic sub-group.  :)

Me too.

Job #1 over the holiday break is working on the resume.  After I get
a couple of people to proof it for me I'll be sending it out.
novera/tsisoft must be a good place or you wouldn't have left to go
to them in the first place.

Well, one would like to think one is good at picking winners but I'm not
the job hopper some folks are. It doesn't hurt that TSI stock has done
nicely since the takeover too, it was at 25 or so then and has gotten as
high as 65 (although it was down a bit today at 58)