 Off-Topic / Geek / 697
Re: Anyone used AutoPlay Menu Studio ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:03:17 GMT

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:04:49 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Well, I like to get paid, so if I can do it, I give the people
paying me what they want.  If I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't
agree to the job in the first place.

Are yopu saying that _all_ factors in a job are klnown to you
beforehand? I submit that it's damn hard to know, in advance, whether
or not your boss is a prick.. but that aside.

Reminds me of a talk I had with a buddy who scoffed at me learning
some VB/Access stuff to work on a project of my own (database-type

I'm sorry, did I sound scoffing? I didn't intend to be. If you like
doing things the Microsoft way, well, sure, more power to you. I'm not
entirely MS-free myself..

program for students studying Latin vocab and teachers wanting to do

Marcus et Cornelia ambulant in horto. Subito, Cornelia clamat: "Marce!
Marce! Serpentem video!"...

Immortal words[1].

drills/quizzes/tests) when I could "easily do it in Perl and if I
wanted a GUI I could use Tck (or something)".  Only problem is, I

Blah. I bet those teachers had a real _lot_ of linux boxen around, and
a few experienced unix admins, right?[2]

_couldn't_ easily do it in Perl, I don't personally KNOW someone I
can call at weird hours of the night who knows Perl, but I could do
it and do know someone who knows VB and Access.

You have someone you can call at weird hours in the night for Access
problems? Cool.

Some people make lots of money doing things the non-MS way.  I'm not
one of them - may never be.  But if I make lots of money doing
things the MS way, it'll buy Lego all the same.

Until, of course, the court judgement comes in. Personally, I'd start
hedging my bets now rather than later. I don't see MS existing as the
market force it is now, say, 5 or 10 years from now.

Jasper

[1] First sentence of the first lesson of my high school latin.. I
used to be able to do the entire page from memory :)

[2] If your sarcasm meter doesn't read out, get it serviced.