 Off-Topic / Geek / 696
Re: Anyone used AutoPlay Menu Studio ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:04:49 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:31:37 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Yeah, that works, but for what I'm being paid and considering this
is for a CD they'll be sending out to thousands of potential
customers, I think something a wee bit more professional and snazzy
is called for.  :)

See, there's your problem. You work for people who think that
"professional" equals "snazzy" and "graphics! Ooh, Shiny!
Button-click! Click! Click!".

Myself, I go for the "Ka-*Click*" style of dealing with those people,
at least in my dreams..

Well, I like to get paid, so if I can do it, I give the people
paying me what they want.  If I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't
agree to the job in the first place.

Playing with Linux and Beos and other stuff for fun is cool, and if
some people can make money at it, more power to them.

Yearning for DOS and the command line and text menu batch files
won't make me much money, though, and since I'm doing the consulting
work outside of my full-time job, I choose to take the jobs that a)
I can do, b) aren't too long, and c) pay well.  I'm fortunate to
have found a few that fit all of those requirements here lately.  :)

Reminds me of a talk I had with a buddy who scoffed at me learning
some VB/Access stuff to work on a project of my own (database-type
program for students studying Latin vocab and teachers wanting to do
drills/quizzes/tests) when I could "easily do it in Perl and if I
wanted a GUI I could use Tck (or something)".  Only problem is, I
_couldn't_ easily do it in Perl, I don't personally KNOW someone I
can call at weird hours of the night who knows Perl, but I could do
it and do know someone who knows VB and Access.

Some people make lots of money doing things the non-MS way.  I'm not
one of them - may never be.  But if I make lots of money doing
things the MS way, it'll buy Lego all the same.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/